Law & Policy: Contract Law
- Assistant High School Girls' Coach Unfairly Overlooked, Court Says
by John T. Wolohan June 2008
An assistant high school girls' basketball coach should not have been overlooked for the varsity job, an arbitrator rules.
- Evaluating Your Liability Waiver
by Doyice J. Cotten May 2008
Can a good waiver actually save you money? Use these waiver evaluation questions to determine how well your waiver will hold up in a lawsuit - which can get quite costly!
- Softball Coach's Equal Pay Lawsuit Still Alive
by John T. Wolohan and Laura Bowman May 2008
Although she was fired legitimately, a softball coach's Equal Pay Act lawsuit is still alive.
- Are Your Waivers Crystal Clear?
by David L. Herbert February 2008
Thanks to ambiguous language, a facility's release did not bar a lawsuit in a recent California case.
- Emotionally Charged Contract Negotiations Threaten Lacrosse Season
by Nicholas Brown November 2007
Emotionally charged contract negotiations threaten the National Lacrosse League 2008 season.
- Recreational Facilities' Purpose Can Undermine the Validity of Some Waivers
by John T. Wolohan September 2007
How courts view recreational facilities' purpose can undermine the validity of some waivers.
- An Upheld Contract Gives Waiver Users Even More Security
by John T. Wolohan March 2007
A contract with an arbitration provision is held valid, giving waiver users even more security.
- Assessing Your Insurance Needs
by Amy Scanlin November 2006
How do you choose which insurance policy to purchase? Insurance professionals discuss the types of policies available, and how they decide, after evaluation on their part, whether to insure your facility and, if so, whether to pay if a claim is made.
- Relying on Waivers Exclusively Is Short-Sighted and Potentially Costly
by John T. Wolohan September 2006
"Facility owners can fall hard by relying exclusively on waivers to ward off negligence claims."
- Of Beers and Volunteers
by Paul Steinbach June 2006
Can volunteer beer servers be held liable for injuries at a Major League ballpark?