Safety & Security: Emergency Response
Boy Who Fell Through Public Pool's Ice Has Died
by Deseret Morning News (Salt Lake City) January 2015
The boy, identified by family members as Jacques Bushman, had remained in critical condition since he was pulled from the water Tuesday, according to Unified police. He was believed to have been in the water for 15 to 20 minutes.
Brain Exam Pending, Coroner Rules OSU Death a Suicide
by Allison Manning, THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH January 2015
The Ohio State University football player who was found dead in a dumpster last year killed himself, the Franklin County coroner has ruled.
E-Cigarette Blamed for Gymnasium Explosion, Fire
by Emily Attwood January 2015
Police say an electronic cigarette is to blame for an explosion at Sparks (Nev.) High School that caused minor damage to the gymnasium floor and led to a code-yellow lockdown and an evacuation of 150 students Monday. A teacher saw the fire shortly after 10 a.m. and quickly reported it to school police and administration, evacuating all students from the gym and those in nearby classrooms to the football field.
"From what the teacher told me there was a small explosion and then a ball of fire," principal Kevin Carroll said.
Streets surrounding the school were blocked off while an investigation of the explosion took place, and parents were also notified of the event after the incident.
"Our number one priority is student safety,” said Carroll. “I have a solid admin team. I have faith in our school police department that we are a very safe school and we do everything we can."
Students elsewhere on campus reported hearing announcements about a bomb threat, and classrooms were placed on lockdown for approximately 90 minutes. “I just heard that they found something in the gymnasium," said one student. “Some of the students were saying they heard a loud pop, but I didn't know until it all happened."
After identifying the cause of the fire, investigators deemed it unintentional, the result of two students playing around with an e-cigarette.
Young Boy Killed at Soccer Practice by Falling Bench
by Michael Gaio January 2015
Tragedy struck soccer practice at a New Jersey elementary school on Wednesday night.
New Domed School Gym Will Double as Disaster Shelter
by Timothy Chipp email@example.com 325-676-6776 Twitter: @TimothyChippARN January 2015
Eastland Independent School District superintendent Jason Cochran said the domed building, expected to be completed by the summer, will provide an extra layer of security for everyone.
Lightning Strike Outside Bucs' Stadium Injures Seven
by Howard Altman and Joey Johnston, Tribune staff December 2014
A lightning strike that hit in a Raymond James Stadium parking lot shortly after Sunday's Tampa Bay Buccaneers game ended sent at least seven people to the hospital, according to Tampa Fire Rescue.
Carbon Monoxide Leak at Rink Sends 81 to Hospital
by Andrew Brandt December 2014
A carbon monoxide leak at a junior hockey game in Lake Delton, Wis., sent 81 people to the hospital Saturday night.
Niagara Basketball Team Rebounds from Bus Ordeal
by Amy Moritz, News Sports Reporter November 2014
She drove the route between the University at Buffalo and Niagara University, just to be sure. She even took a spin down Niagara Falls Boulevard, since an accident on the I-190 was delaying traffic. Kendra Faustin knew she was taking extra precautions. But if her team was getting back on a bus, the Niagara women's basketball coach was in favor of being overprepared.
FSU Athletic Events Will Go On Despite Campus Shooting
by News Wire Services November 2014
Florida State University coaches and athletics department leaders expressed sadnesss and offered prayers after a shooting on campus. Seminoles athletics events will go on as scheduled, the lineup includes the football team's home contest against Boston College.
Niagara Basketball Team Stranded on Bus for 26 Hours
by Michael Gaio November 2014
A rough night on the court turned into an even rougher 26 hours for the Niagara University women's basketball team.