RECENT ARTICLES
  • The AB Extra: April 3

    by Michael Gaio April 2015

    We dive into the second edition of The AB Extra with some Final Four coverage, an April Fools Day tweet gone wrong and heroics from two YMCA lifeguards. Today we begin with this heartwarming display of sportsmanship in women’s college basketball.

  • Golf Tournament's Windstorm Preparation Pays Off

    by Tony Doris Palm Beach Post March 2015

    For the city staff, from police and firefighters to building inspectors and other emergency response team members, the Honda Classic's windy deluge came as deja vu.

  • E-Cigarette Blamed for Gymnasium Explosion, Fire

    by Emily Attwood January 2015

    Police say an electronic cigarette is to blame for an explosion at Sparks (Nev.) High School that caused minor damage to the gymnasium floor and led to a code-yellow lockdown and an evacuation of 150 students Monday. A teacher saw the fire shortly after 10 a.m. and quickly reported it to school police and administration, evacuating all students from the gym and those in nearby classrooms to the football field. 

    "From what the teacher told me there was a small explosion and then a ball of fire," principal Kevin Carroll said

    Streets surrounding the school were blocked off while an investigation of the explosion took place, and parents were also notified of the event after the incident.

    "Our number one priority is student safety,” said Carroll. “I have a solid admin team. I have faith in our school police department that we are a very safe school and we do everything we can."

    Students elsewhere on campus reported hearing announcements about a bomb threat, and classrooms were placed on lockdown for approximately 90 minutes. “I just heard that they found something in the gymnasium," said one student. “Some of the students were saying they heard a loud pop, but I didn't know until it all happened."

    After identifying the cause of the fire, investigators deemed it unintentional, the result of two students playing around with an e-cigarette. 

     

  • Young Boy Killed at Soccer Practice by Falling Bench

    by Michael Gaio January 2015

    Tragedy struck soccer practice at a New Jersey elementary school on Wednesday night.

  • Carbon Monoxide Leak at Rink Sends 81 to Hospital

    by Andrew Brandt December 2014

    A carbon monoxide leak at a junior hockey game in Lake Delton, Wis., sent 81 people to the hospital Saturday night.

  • Niagara Basketball Team Stranded on Bus for 26 Hours

    by Michael Gaio November 2014

    A rough night on the court turned into an even rougher 26 hours for the Niagara University women's basketball team.

  • Rec Center's Carbon Monoxide Leak Sickens 11

    by Michael Gaio October 2014

    11 people were treated and at least one child remains hospitalized after an archery club was exposed to carbon monoxide at a Greeley, Colo. recreation center.

  • Designing Student Rec Centers for Emergency Shelter

    by Dave Larson, Guest Contributor October 2014

    It wasn't long ago that college recreation facilities conjured a drab, one-dimensional image. They housed physical education programs — in many cases, mandatory classes that students grudgingly took in order to graduate. The buildings were often bare bones, not air-conditioned and had little or no lobby or lounge space.

  • Chicago Marathon Officials Preparing for Ebola Threat

    by Michael Gaio October 2014

    Organizing an open-access event comes with plenty of challenges. There’s coordinating the logistics, finding sponsors, and of course, organizing security to keep participants and fans safe.

  • Four Killed In Texas College Softball Bus Crash

    by Michael Gaio September 2014

    Four collegiate softball players died Friday when an 18-wheel semi truck collided head-on with their team bus. The bus was carrying the softball team from North Central Texas College and was being driven by the team's head coach when the semi crossed the median and hit the bus near Davis, Oklahoma.