Safety & Security: Emergency Response
- E-Cigarette Blamed for Gymnasium Explosion, Fire
by Emily Attwood January 2015
Police say an electronic cigarette is to blame for an explosion at Sparks (Nev.) High School that caused minor damage to the gymnasium floor and led to a code-yellow lockdown and an evacuation of 150 students Monday. A teacher saw the fire shortly after 10 a.m. and quickly reported it to school police and administration, evacuating all students from the gym and those in nearby classrooms to the football field.
"From what the teacher told me there was a small explosion and then a ball of fire," principal Kevin Carroll said.
Streets surrounding the school were blocked off while an investigation of the explosion took place, and parents were also notified of the event after the incident.
"Our number one priority is student safety,” said Carroll. “I have a solid admin team. I have faith in our school police department that we are a very safe school and we do everything we can."
Students elsewhere on campus reported hearing announcements about a bomb threat, and classrooms were placed on lockdown for approximately 90 minutes. “I just heard that they found something in the gymnasium," said one student. “Some of the students were saying they heard a loud pop, but I didn't know until it all happened."
After identifying the cause of the fire, investigators deemed it unintentional, the result of two students playing around with an e-cigarette.
- Young Boy Killed at Soccer Practice by Falling Bench
by Michael Gaio January 2015
Tragedy struck soccer practice at a New Jersey elementary school on Wednesday night.
- Carbon Monoxide Leak at Rink Sends 81 to Hospital
by Andrew Brandt December 2014
A carbon monoxide leak at a junior hockey game in Lake Delton, Wis., sent 81 people to the hospital Saturday night.
- Niagara Basketball Team Stranded on Bus for 26 Hours
by Michael Gaio November 2014
A rough night on the court turned into an even rougher 26 hours for the Niagara University women's basketball team.
- Rec Center's Carbon Monoxide Leak Sickens 11
by Michael Gaio October 2014
11 people were treated and at least one child remains hospitalized after an archery club was exposed to carbon monoxide at a Greeley, Colo. recreation center.
- Designing Student Rec Centers for Emergency Shelter
by Dave Larson, Guest Contributor October 2014
It wasn't long ago that college recreation facilities conjured a drab, one-dimensional image. They housed physical education programs — in many cases, mandatory classes that students grudgingly took in order to graduate. The buildings were often bare bones, not air-conditioned and had little or no lobby or lounge space.
- Chicago Marathon Officials Preparing for Ebola Threat
by Michael Gaio October 2014
Organizing an open-access event comes with plenty of challenges. There’s coordinating the logistics, finding sponsors, and of course, organizing security to keep participants and fans safe.
- Four Killed In Texas College Softball Bus Crash
by Michael Gaio September 2014
Four collegiate softball players died Friday when an 18-wheel semi truck collided head-on with their team bus. The bus was carrying the softball team from North Central Texas College and was being driven by the team's head coach when the semi crossed the median and hit the bus near Davis, Oklahoma.
- How to Control the Story Following a Club Member Death
by Rob Bishop September 2014
In May, one of our members — Scott — was found unconscious in our pool. Our staff attempted to revive him using CPR and our AED, but despite our best efforts and those of EMTs who had arrived by ambulance, Scott was pronounced dead at the hospital a short while later.
- Spontaneous Combustion of Oily Rags Causes HS Court Fire
by AB Editors August 2014
Editor's Note: This article was originally posted by Wood Floor Business, AB's sister publication.
The start of school for a number of high school students in Green Bay, Wis., will be delayed until mid-September due to smoke damage from a fire that started after rags used to clean up a refinishing job spontaneously combusted in the middle of the night.