Safety & Security: Emergency Response
- Rec Center's Carbon Monoxide Leak Sickens 11
by Michael Gaio October 2014
11 people were treated and at least one child remains hospitalized after an archery club was exposed to carbon monoxide at a Greeley, Colo. recreation center.
- Designing Student Rec Centers for Emergency Shelter
by Dave Larson, Guest Contributor October 2014
It wasn't long ago that college recreation facilities conjured a drab, one-dimensional image. They housed physical education programs — in many cases, mandatory classes that students grudgingly took in order to graduate. The buildings were often bare bones, not air-conditioned and had little or no lobby or lounge space.
- Chicago Marathon Officials Preparing for Ebola Threat
by Michael Gaio October 2014
Organizing an open-access event comes with plenty of challenges. There’s coordinating the logistics, finding sponsors, and of course, organizing security to keep participants and fans safe.
- Four Killed In Texas College Softball Bus Crash
by Michael Gaio September 2014
Four collegiate softball players died Friday when an 18-wheel semi truck collided head-on with their team bus. The bus was carrying the softball team from North Central Texas College and was being driven by the team's head coach when the semi crossed the median and hit the bus near Davis, Oklahoma.
- How to Control the Story Following a Club Member Death
by Rob Bishop September 2014
In May, one of our members — Scott — was found unconscious in our pool. Our staff attempted to revive him using CPR and our AED, but despite our best efforts and those of EMTs who had arrived by ambulance, Scott was pronounced dead at the hospital a short while later.
- Spontaneous Combustion of Oily Rags Causes HS Court Fire
by AB Editors August 2014
Editor's Note: This article was originally posted by Hardwood Floors, AB's sister publication.
The start of school for a number of high school students in Green Bay, Wis., will be delayed until mid-September due to smoke damage from a fire that started after rags used to clean up a refinishing job spontaneously combusted in the middle of the night.
- Lessons from Our Club’s Response to an Onsite Fatality
by Rob Bishop August 2014
Please read this column.
- Three Shocked by Electric Current, Philly Pool Shut Down
by Rexford Sheild August 2014
Experiencing weather between 70 and 80 degrees on Friday, some Philadelphia residents were not able to enjoy one city-owned pool. Three children were reportedly shocked by an electrical current running through the water, prompting O'Connor Pool to be shut down temporarily.
- Pool Fumes Hospitalize 22 Near Montreal
by Andrew Brandt July 2014
Fumes coming from a public pool just outside of Montreal sent 22 people to the hospital Tuesday afternoon.
- College Football Player Collapses and Dies at Workout
by Michael Gaio July 2014
A college football player at Winona State University collapsed and died Monday night while participating in a voluntary workout at the school's practice field.