Facilities: Gym & Fieldhouse
- School Districts Embrace Monolithic Domes as Gymnasiums
by Michael Popke March 2012
Ninety minutes before tipoff of the first basketball games scheduled in the Archie (Mo.) R-V School District's new gymnasium on Jan. 20, staff members were still cleaning up from its seven-month construction.
- Ten Things to Consider When Purchasing a Hardwood Gym Floor
by Paul Steinbach December 2011
Explore 250+ Exhibitors and 190 Educational Sessions at AB Show.
Visit abshow.com for more information.
- Universities Make Mark With Basketball Court Aesthetics
by Michael Popke October 2011
After a 12-year absence, the California State University Bakersfield men's basketball team returns to the on-campus Icardo Center this month for its home opener against Pepperdine.
- Staggered Courts Help Make Gym Less Boxy
by Andrew Cohen September 2011
It's difficult to avoid the big box of the gymnasium becoming a really big box, particularly when the building plan includes three basketball/volleyball courts laid side by side, the three rectangles creating one very large rectangle.
- Air-Destratification and Dispersion Technologies Enhance Heating and Cooling Efficiencies in Large Interior Spaces
by Paul Steinbach June 2011
About eight years ago, Xcel Energy of Colorado paid a visit to the Longmont headquarters of Avedon Engineering, a custom manufacturer of injection-molded plastics.
- Net-Zero Field House Is a Classroom and a Money Maker for The Putney School
by Andrew Cohen June 2011
The Putney School, a private, progressive secondary school in southeastern Vermont, sits on 500 acres that include a dairy farm, stands of sugar maples, vegetable gardens and hay fields.
- New Efforts to Revive Structured Physical Education Abound
by Michael Popke March 2011
Most school gymnasiums are filled more often than not these days - hosting much-needed blood drives, fundraisers for vital school and community needs, and revenue-generating offseason sports camps.
- New Projects: Virginia Beach; Texas A&M; TCU; Auburn
by Nicholas Brown January 2011
Construction is under way in Virginia Beach, Va., on the Williams Farm Recreation Center. The city enlisted the services of Newport News-based W.M. Jordan Company for the $21 million design-build project, which is expected to be completed in July of next year.
- Facility Owners Diversify Program Offerings Beyond Basketball
by Andrew Cohen October 2010
Most facility owners who base their business models on basketball end up scrambling to diversify their program offerings.
- Technology Tweaks Make it Easy for Gyms to Accommodate Activities
by Paul Steinbach September 2010
New tweaks to familiar technologies are making it easier for gyms to accommodate virtually any combination of activities.