Copyright 2014 The Post and Courier
All Rights Reserved
Wando High School canceled football practice Wednesday after some players came down with staph infections, according to principal Lucy Beckham.
Beckham said a Wando varsity player showed a skin irritation on his leg to the school s athletic trainer Tuesday. A trip to the doctor confirmed a staph infection, and other players reported skin irritations to the trainer Wednesday. Beckham said the trainer began a skin check of all varsity and junior varsity players, and advised players with skin irritations to see their doctors.
In several cases, players did go to their doctors and the diagnosis was contact dermatitis, Beckham said. But other cases of staph were reported as well.
Beckham said all common areas weight room, locker rooms and the wrestling room at Wando are being disinfected and sanitized. All football uniforms, protective equipment and gear also are being sanitized. Trainers are checking other student-athletes, as well, she said.
According to the Mayo Clinc, a staph infection is caused by staphylococcus bacteria, types of germs commonly found on the skin or in the nose of even healthy individuals. Most of the time, these bacteria cause no problems or result in relatively minor skin infections. But staph infections can turn deadly if the bacteria invade deeper into your body, entering your bloodstream, joints, bones, lungs or heart.