- New Projects: Oklahoma State University; University of Houston; Oregon State University
by Andrew Cohen July 2011
Construction has begun on the Sherman E. Smith Training Center, one of the key components of the envisioned Athletic Village on the north side of the Oklahoma State University campus.
- Is Jury Still Out on Recyclable Synthetic Turf?
by Joe Bush June 2011
The year 2010 saw the first synthetic turf field to be fully recycled.
- Blog: Come July, Your Parks Will Get Rocked
by Mary Helen Sprecher May 2011
With all the attention paid to glitz in our industry - new multipurpose rec centers, high-end health clubs and even glittering new high school facilities - we occasionally forget that some great opportunities for recreation are right in our own backyard.
- Dirtless Diamonds Give Teams Real Home-Field Advantage
by Michael Popke — AB Managing Editor April 2011
More synthetic-turf baseball fields are being installed these days, but many of them still use real dirt on and around the base paths, home plate and pitcher's mound. Which is why some facilities are getting lots of attention this spring for using absolutely no dirt. Instead, brown and white turf doubles as dirt and chalk.
- When to Keep Field Maintenance In-House and When to Hire a Pro
by David Nardone and Mark Novak April 2011
Maintaining athletic fields is crucial to their performance, and doing it right takes expertise, time and money. For some athletic departments, in-house capabilities are more than sufficient and save the added costs of hiring outside professionals.
- Synthetic Turf Fields Benefitting from Latest Fiber Technology
by Paul Steinbach February 2011
The Tampa Bay Rays have played on synthetic turf since their inaugural season in 1998, but the surface installed at Tropicana Field this past offseason is different.
- Entire Synthetic Turf Fields Now Being Recycled
by Paul Steinbach October 2010
Entire synthetic turf fields are now being recycled upon request.
- Recycled Rubber Pavers Gain Traction as Green Alternative to Concrete
by Andrew Cohen October 2010
Recycled (and recyclable) pavers are gaining traction as a green alternative to concrete.
- Real Madrid Getting Its Kicks at UCLA
by Michael Popke July 2010
As part of an effort to build soccer's popularity in the United States, Real Madrid - the Spanish soccer team that has been dubbed the most successful club of the 20th century - is taking a brief preseason tour of California, playing Major League Soccer teams. Among the stops next week will be games against Club America in San Francisco on Aug. 4 and against the Los Angeles Galaxy on Aug. 7 at the Rose Bowl.
- Track Surface Drainage Systems Come with Several Design Options
by Paul Steinbach July 2010
Now a standard component of competitive tracks, surface drainage systems come with several design options.