- Shock Pads Make Bigger Impact in the Synthetic Turf Industry
by Michael Popke April 2012
One of the more popular seminars attended by industry professionals at the Synthetic Turf Council's March Spring Membership Meeting in Las Vegas didn't boast a sexy name or even a call to action.
- Different Color Combinations Enliven Tennis Courts
by Andrew Cohen April 2012
Your eyes are on the athletes as they run, jump, slide, swing. The surface beneath their feet slides by, mere background.
- Adopt-a-Park Programs Improve Community Green Spaces
by Emily Attwood March 2012
"Great parks make great neighborhoods," says Alex Moroz, quoting the simple philosophy driving the adopt-a-park program in Hamilton, Ont.
- AstroTurf Puts Field Up for Bid on eBay
by Michael Popke — AB Managing Editor February 2012
On Tuesday afternoon, AstroTurf listed what may be the first synthetic turf field ever put up for bid on the online auction site eBay.
- Exacting Design Standards Spur Quality Track Construction
by Paul Steinbach February 2012
It starts with a dotted line. Not the kind that stretches a short distance across the bottom of a contract, but one drawn to represent a closed circuit covering 400 meters.
- Rethinking Municipal Golf Course Operations
by Emily Attwood December 2011
Last November, the City of Duluth, Minn., hired a consultant from National Golf Foundation Consulting Inc. to evaluate its two 27-hole municipal golf courses and suggest improvements.
- Outdoor Sports Lighting Projects Don't Need to Rile the Neighbors
by Michael Popke December 2011
The Westport (Conn.) Planning and Zoning Commission, in granting the Installation of permanent lights at the Staples High School football field in November, brought to a close nearly 35 years of often-contentious debate between city leaders, sports boosters and school neighbors over spill and glare issues.
- Drought-Ridden Field Owners Reconsider Maintenance Practices, Synthetic Turf
by Andrew Cohen December 2011
Robert Lee, Texas, population 1,106, got three inches of rain in the first 11 months of 2011.
- Blog: Fitness Instructor Had It Right: Take It Outside
by Mary Helen Sprecher October 2011
Last Friday, I was passing by the room in our athletic club where group-cycling classes are held, and I heard the instructor tell the group, "I saw the weather forecast and it's going to be a wonderful weekend. I don't want to see any of you here on Saturday and Sunday. Go play outside!"
- New Projects: Oklahoma State University; University of Houston; Oregon State University
by Andrew Cohen July 2011
Construction has begun on the Sherman E. Smith Training Center, one of the key components of the envisioned Athletic Village on the north side of the Oklahoma State University campus.