- OSAA Recruits Student-Officials to Call Games
by Courtney Cameron August 2017
The dwindling number of qualified officials for student sports has been a topic of concern for decades. The combination of relatively low pay and a notoriety for taking abuse makes the job less than appealing for many, which in turn puts added strain on athletic programming.
- NFL to Hire Full-Time Officials
by Wire services August 2017
The NFL announced Wednesday it will begin hiring between 21 and 24 full-time game officials from among the current roster of 124 officials for this season.
- Coaches Could Be Sidelined by Teacher Strike
by Marc Pendleton August 2017
Belmont High School head football coach Earl White and his counterpart at Meadowdale are expected to honor a strike if Dayton Public Schools and its teachers can't agree on a new contract.
- Coaches Seek Greener Fields in South Carolina
by Joe Sirera and Spencer D. Turkin August 2017
Some high school football coaches are leaving the richer-player fields of North Carolina for the richer-paying fields of South Carolina.
- Short-Lived Coaches Raise Hiring Practice Questions
by Jason Scott August 2017
An Idaho school district is looking at its hiring practices after it rescinded job offers to two brand new coaches once details of their pasts came to light.
- Opinion: Only Things Youth Sports Lacking Are Officials
by Deron Snyder August 2017
NFL interest is heating up with training camps underway from coast to coast. The NBA is cooling down...
- Officials Shortage a Growing Problem for Prep Football
by Tori McElhaney July 2017
On any given Friday night throughout the football season, there are always three teams taking the field for a high school game. Yes, three teams, not two...
- USA Gymnastics Fulfills Advocate, Counsel Mandates
by Rachel Axon July 2017
USA Gymnastics on Wednesday announced the hiring of a director of safe sport and an in-house legal counsel, filling positions created in response...
- Misled by Flier, Hundreds Converge on Raiders Stadium
by Courtney Cameron July 2017
On Thursday, more than 700 people attended a board meeting of the Las Vegas Stadium Authority under the false impression that they would be able to apply to work at the new Raiders Stadium.
- Football Coach Job Still Vacant Following Controversy
by Jeremy Kelley and Marc Pendleton July 2017
After initially indicating he would pursue the Dunbar High School head football coach position...