Forty-seven groups from around the world have been honored with the Excellence in Youth Sports Award.
Each recipient of the 2011 Excellence in Youth Sports Awards has earned that distinction by - in the words of one winning program's supervisors - "making a difference in the lives of our youths by instilling good sportsmanship behavior and teaching all participants the skills they need to advance."
Developed by Athletic Business and the National Alliance for Youth Sports, the awards recognize organizations for their efforts to make diverse athletic, fitness and recreation activities a major priority for kids, while focusing on safe and positive experiences for everyone (including parents, coaches and officials).
More than 50 groups from around the world - municipalities, military bases, Boys & Girls Clubs and YMCAs - have been honored as recipients since 2000. Five more organizations were added in 2011:
- Marine Corps Community Services Cherry Point Youth Sports (N.C.)
- Village of Evendale (Ohio) Recreation Department
- Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson Youth Sports Program (Alaska)
- Kaiserslautern Military Community Youth Sports and Fitness Program (Germany)
- Town of Westport (Conn.) Parks and Recreation Department
They will be honored on Friday, Dec. 2, at the Athletic Business Conference in Orlando, Fla.