A special place
The original community pool in Geneseo, Ill., which opened in 1953, held a special place in the hearts of residents. The new John & Carla Edwards Aquatic Center was designed to provide residents with a state-of-the-art pool facility that carried on the traditions of the original pool. Designed to fit within the neighborhood context, the main goal of the facility was to accommodate users at three levels: leisure, competition and fitness. The masonry materials selected for the bathhouse were chosen to match the campus context and neighboring residences, while still meeting the budgetary constraints.
The Geneseo Park District was awarded a $2.5 million PARC Grant from the State of Illinois. However, after the grants were initially suspended, the Geneseo community banded together to raise more than $2.5 million so that the aquatic center plans did not have to be significantly altered. Community members were able to cast their vote during a survey process to establish specific amenities and aquatic features for the facility, which included the community’s long-time favorite — diving boards.
Making it fit
The center is located on a very constrained site. Situated next to a power plant with trucking activity and power lines, the Park District was nonetheless committed to providing community members with their desired aquatic features. Designers managed to include a drop slide, a climbing wall, a high dive and a low dive, a six-lane lap pool, a current channel, an activity pool with play feature, and a lily pad walk.