Michigan Water Park Evacuated Due to Burns, Vomiting

Courtney Cameron Headshot

The recreation pool at Splash Universe water park in Dundee, Mich., was evacuated as a precautionary measure Saturday after guests began to complain about skin irritation and vomiting. A Monroe County Dispatch worker told the local ABC affiliate that burns sustained were not significant.

One patron provided video of a park employee explaining that an air filtrations system had broken, leaking extra chlorine into the pool. “We have these air filtration systems and they are called dactrons, giant blue tubs hanging in from the ceiling, and one of them actually collapsed and expelled all air, or all the chlorine from them,” the employee said.

Another guest told reporters that his family developed sudden rashes, while his son began vomiting. "[My wife] took [my son] into the bathroom where she knows other people are vomiting. I went into the other bathroom and people were puking in there and then I seen other people throwing up in the general area as well,” he said.

Splash Universe regional manager Rob Evans released a statement asserting that the pool’s chlorine levels were normal, and that the proper procedures were followed after a complaint was made. “The safety of guests and employees are their number one priority. Splash Universe was open and fully operational today with great customer satisfaction,” the statement read.

Page 1 of 52
Next Page
AB Show 2024 in New Orleans
AB Show is a solution-focused event for athletics, fitness, recreation and military professionals.
Nov. 19-22, 2024
Learn More
AB Show 2024
Buyer's Guide
Information on more than 3,000 companies, sorted by category. Listings are updated daily.
Learn More
Buyer's Guide