Premium Partners

OHSAA Punishes Dayton Schools Over Sportsmanship

AthleticBusiness.com has partnered with LexisNexis to bring you this content.

Copyright 2017 Dayton Newspapers, Inc.

Dayton Daily News (Ohio)

 

Dunbar High football coach Darran Powell's team got caught in a controversy when it allegedly was instructed to lose a game to Belmont by the DPS director of athletics.

As a public reprimand for a lack of administrative responsibility and institutional control, the Ohio High School Athletic Association placed all Dayton Public Schools boys and girls athletic teams on immediate three-year probation Thursday. The district also was fined $10,000 and selected administrators were ordered to attend compliance meetings in Columbus and new-level training.

The OHSAA ruled its bylaw 3-1-1 - concerning administrative control - had been violated during a Week 10 football game last season between Dunbar and Belmont at Welcome Stadium. Commissioner Dr. Dan Ross outlined the punishments.

The probation will be lifted and $2,500 will be refunded if no other similar violations of OHSAA bylaws occur within the first two years. Affected are all six DPS high schools: Belmont, Dunbar, Meadowdale, Ponitz, Stivers and Thurgood Marshall.

"It strikes at the heart of what we believe high school sports are all about and that's teaching life lessons and the things you want them to learn as citizens when they're out of school," Ross said. "For us, it was reprehensible that anything like that would be suggested."

DPS director of athletics Mark Baker had been accused of instructing Dunbar to lose the game. Had that happened, it was hoped both Dunbar and Belmont would qualify for the playoffs. Instead, it caused a catastrophic fallout of forfeits, a resignation, a reshuffling of playoff-qualifying teams and launched an OHSAA investigation.

It was an unprecedented breach of high school sportsmanship. A strong message - and OHSAA rulings - to deter that from happening again had been expected.

"I definitely feel exonerated and I'm glad that it's over with," Dunbar football coach Darran Powell said. "Hopefully, we can move forward and never come across a situation like this again. I'm happy for the kids and I'm ready to get the season started. We've got a lot to prove."

The rulings mean all City League athletes can continue to compete in regular-season and postseason play.

"We believed the youngsters involved were not responsible; it was the decisions of adults," Ross said. "This is not something you ever want a youngster to be put in the middle of. ..."

According to Dunbar assistant coach Alfred Powell, at halftime of the game Baker relayed instructions for Dunbar to lose. That resulted in three bizarre third-quarter plays in which Dunbar appeared to purposely lose yardage. Referees halted play after the ball was tossed to a Belmont lineman.

Coaches of both teams huddled at midfield, where officials said the contest would be called if the integrity of the game were further undermined. There were no more similar incidents. Dunbar won handily and appeared to have qualified for the Division IV, Region 16 playoffs with a 9-1 record.

However, the OHSAA required Dunbar to forfeit both Week 9-10 games for using an academically ineligible player. That allowed Belmont to qualify for the D-III, Region 12 playoffs and knocked Princeton (D-II), Piqua (D-III) and Dunbar out of qualifying.

Dunbar coaches insisted Baker said the Dunbar player was eligible prior to the Belmont game, then said he wasn't at halftime. That led to the proposal of Dunbar losing on purpose.

"I believe the system works," Alfred Powell said. "Our staff has been vindicated."

None of the Dunbar football coaches has been retained; interviews will be held next week. DPS Superintendent Rhonda Corr previously released a statement that said an internal investigation determined that "Mark Baker did not instruct Dunbar to lose or forfeit the Week 10 football game to Belmont."

Dunbar boys basketball coach Pete Pullen resigned as AD in mid-November. No football playoff games were held at Welcome Stadium last fall, a direct result of OHSAA's investigation. Baker and Corr did not respond to requests for comment.

Contact this reporter at 937-225-2381 or email Marc.

Pendleton@coxinc.com

Twitter: @MarcPendleton

Read More of Today's AB Headlines

Subscribe to Our Daily E-Newsletter

 
April 7, 2017
 
 
 

 

Copyright © 2017 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Terms and Conditions Privacy Policy
AB Show 2022 in Orlando
AB Show is a solution-focused event for athletics, fitness, recreation and military professionals.
Learn More
AB Show
Buyer's Guide
Information on more than 3,000 companies, sorted by category. Listings are updated daily.
Learn More
Buyer's Guide