Premium Partners

E-Cigarette Blamed for Gymnasium Explosion, Fire

Uuu 513 Ab

Police say an electronic cigarette is to blame for an explosion at Sparks (Nev.) High School that caused minor damage to the gymnasium floor and led to a code-yellow lockdown and an evacuation of 150 students Monday. A teacher saw the fire shortly after 10 a.m. and quickly reported it to school police and administration, evacuating all students from the gym and those in nearby classrooms to the football field. 

"From what the teacher told me there was a small explosion and then a ball of fire," principal Kevin Carroll said

Streets surrounding the school were blocked off while an investigation of the explosion took place, and parents were also notified of the event after the incident.

"Our number one priority is student safety,” said Carroll. “I have a solid admin team. I have faith in our school police department that we are a very safe school and we do everything we can."

Students elsewhere on campus reported hearing announcements about a bomb threat, and classrooms were placed on lockdown for approximately 90 minutes. “I just heard that they found something in the gymnasium," said one student. “Some of the students were saying they heard a loud pop, but I didn't know until it all happened."

After identifying the cause of the fire, investigators deemed it unintentional, the result of two students playing around with an e-cigarette. 

 

AB Show 2022 in Orlando
AB Show is a solution-focused event for athletics, fitness, recreation and military professionals.
Learn More
AB Show
Buyer's Guide
Information on more than 3,000 companies, sorted by category. Listings are updated daily.
Learn More
Buyer's Guide