Rec Center Evacuated over Chlorine Spill | Athletic Business

Rec Center Evacuated over Chlorine Spill

The Brainerd (Tenn.) Recreation Center has reopened after being evacuated earlier in the week over a chlorine accident in the building. 

The Chattanooga Fire Department evacuated the rec center Wednesday afternoon. CFD Captain Chuck Hartung says work was being done to the facility's pool when a "splash scare" happened with chlorine. 

Specifically, a company had been filling chlorine for a pool downstairs in the basement of the building when a water line broke, causing a liquid chlorine spill, according to the Chattanooga ABC affiliate.

The building was evacuated out of an abundance of caution so CFD could determine whether the spill posed any danger.

The building was ventilated and was able to reopen Thursday. No injuries were reported.

AB Show 2023 in Baltimore
AB Show is a solution-focused event for athletics, fitness, recreation and military professionals.
Nov 1-4, 2023
Learn More
AB Show
Buyer's Guide
Information on more than 3,000 companies, sorted by category. Listings are updated daily.
Learn More
Buyer's Guide