Hazmat Crews Respond to Chlorine Spill at Pool | Athletic Business

Hazmat Crews Respond to Chlorine Spill at Pool

Hazmat crews responded to the community pool in Berkley, Mo., over the weekend after a worker suffered chemical burns due to a chlorine spill.

According to the local Fox affiliate, a valve came off a chlorine tank, which in turn caused the spill. The pool was closed at the time of the spill.

The valve will need to be replaced and the pool will likely be closed at least through Monday.

Some streets surrounding the pool were closed and a few residents ordered to evacuate their homes while hazmat crews investigated the incident. Area sewers and drains were inspected to ensure they were not contaminated, as chlorine gas can cause serious respiratory problems. 

Crews on the scene determined there were no hazardous levels of chlorine in the area so residents were allowed to return to their homes.

AB Show 2023 in Baltimore
AB Show is a solution-focused event for athletics, fitness, recreation and military professionals.
Nov 1-4, 2023
Learn More
AB Show
Buyer's Guide
Information on more than 3,000 companies, sorted by category. Listings are updated daily.
Learn More
Buyer's Guide