Small Fire Temporarily Closes K-State Rec | Athletic Business

Small Fire Temporarily Closes K-State Rec

A fire apparently caused by a light fixture temporarily closed the Chester E. Peters Recreational Complex on the campus of Kansas State University on Friday afternoon. 

According to The Mercury, the fire broke out Friday afternoon in one of the facility’s gymnasiums after the light fixture caught fire and dropped some burning material onto a cart carrying blankets and other combustibles.

The Mercury reports that 17 firefighters responded to the scene and found smoke filling the building. All building occupants were evacuated prior to the crews’ arrival, and the flames were extinguished with two water fire extinguishers.

The building’s sprinkler system deployed, but wasn’t able to put out the fire because of where it had caught.

The facility remained closed Friday after crews cleared the building just after 2 p.m., but reopened on Saturday for normal business hours.

No reports on losses were available.

AB Show 2022 in Orlando
AB Show is a solution-focused event for athletics, fitness, recreation and military professionals.
Learn More
AB Show
Buyer's Guide
Information on more than 3,000 companies, sorted by category. Listings are updated daily.
Learn More
Buyer's Guide