A family looking to cool off at the Westlake (Ohio) Aquatic Center ended up in the emergency room over the weekend after their daughter suffered second-degree burns on her feet. 

“She burnt the bottom of her feet and all of her little toes, they all have blisters on them,” Rachel Kelly told the local Fox affiliate.

Kelly says her daughter was burned from stepping on a hot sheet of metal for about five to 10 seconds when it was above 90 degrees.

“She was inconsolable, she started crying right away,” said Kelly of her 22-month-old daughter. “Immediately I knew we needed to go to the ER.”

Kelly took to Facebook to warn others about the piece of metal, which is uncovered and just a few steps away from the kids pool. She also made pool staff aware of the problem.

“I did tell them what happened, the manager took down notes and she said they normally try to keep the kids off of there,” she said. “I’ve been there like 20 times this summer and I’ve never seen anyone try to get kids off of the stage.” 

Kelly hopes the pool follows through with a fix.

“I want them to cover it up so another little toddler doesn’t get their feet burned,” she said.

Andy Berg is Executive Editor of Athletic Business.