A Connecticut baseball field was severely damaged when someone poured gasoline on the infield and lit it on fire in an attempt to dry it more quickly.
ABC News reports that police are investigating the fire, which took place in Ridgefield, Conn., ahead of a high school baseball game. Officials said that onlookers watched as the fire was set with 25 gallons of gasoline.
BAD IDEA: Authorities say it will cost thousands of dollars to repair this Connecticut baseball diamond after somebody dumped 25 gallons of gasoline and set it on fire in an effort to “dry the field quicker.” https://t.co/BLA27bQ1sM pic.twitter.com/szxAIqqT4z— ABC News (@ABC) April 9, 2019
Repairs could cost up to $50,000, as a hazardous waste removal crew has begun to dig up the contaminated soil. Nobody has been charged in connection to the fire yet.
This is at least the second incident in recent weeks in which someone attempted to use a gas-fed fire to dry an infield. A Utah coach was placed on administrative leave last week for trying a similar gambit.
In case there’s any confusion: it’s a bad idea to attempt to use gasoline to try to dry an infield. Gasoline can contaminate soil, and cleanup can be costly.