A 12-year-old Georgia boy is dead after he was electrocuted Wednesday while climbing under a fence at an Augusta sports complex.
According to The Augusta Chronicle, Melquan Kwame Robinson was electrocuted by a live wire at Fleming Athletic Complex near the Bernie Ward Community Center in Augusta.
Robinson was trying to climb under a fence to retrieve a football. A live wire was touching the fence, and when Robinson grabbed the fence, he was electrocuted. Three other people were also injured in the incident.
Robinson was taken to the hospital where he was pronounced dead.
Don Clark, a friend of the Robinsons, said the family is upset about how something like this could happen. “You can play the what-ifs in many different scenarios and it will never get any better,” Clark said. “The fact that this situation happened with so many kids out here, it’s heartbreaking.”
Clark said two other children were injured while trying to help Robinson. “The friends, the way they responded, what motivates a young boy that young to jump into action and help their friend out,” Clark said. “Those are the two young boys that are in the hospital right now because they were trying to help out a friend.”
Georgia Power released a statement saying it would work with local officials as they conduct the investigation.
“Georgia Power’s condolences and sympathies are with the individuals and their families following last night’s tragic event at Fleming Athletic Complex,” the statement says. “Our preliminary investigation indicates that Georgia Power does not control or maintain the voltage that energized the fences at the complex.”
Robinson was a member of the Trinity Elite Titans football team, which posted a statement on Facebook. “Good morning everyone, this is a sad moment for our Trinity Elite Titans family......we are still in disbelief,” the post read. “We are sending our prayers and love out to the family of our football player, #MelquanKwameRobinson#, who has gone to rest with the Lord. One solider gone too soon.........you will be truly missed!!!!”