Premium Partners

Chlorine Spill Forces Evacuation of Laramie Rec Center

Andy Berg

The Laramie (Wyo.) Community Recreation Center had to be evacuated Tuesday morning due to a chemical spill at the facility.

Assistant city manager Todd Feezer told the Laramie Boomerang chlorine was spilled after a staff member accidentally mixed a small amount of acid into the chlorine tanks. Feezer said the chemical transfer caused and “unfortunate combination of chemicals.”

The evacuation was called to allow for cleanup of the chemicals and for any fumes to dissipate.

“We’re very grateful that we didn’t have any dangerous exposure to staff or participants or residents of this community,” Feezer said. 

First responders used air quality monitors to test the amount of toxic chlorine gas still in the rec center’s air.

“It’s just going to take some time to ensure the air quality in the building is good, and we won’t leave until we are 100 percent satisfied,” said Laramie Fire Department company officer Todd Hixon.

Hixon said his top priority was to ensure that everyone in the building was safely evacuated

“We go on our self-contained breathing apparatus that ensures our safety as far as inhaling any toxic gases or anything like that, and from there just try to assess the problem, see how we can mitigate it to do it safely,” Hixon said. 

The facility remained closed for the remainder of Tuesday but planned on reopening Wednesday.  

Buyer's Guide
Information on more than 3,000 companies, sorted by category. Listings are updated daily.
Learn More
Buyer's Guide
AB Show 2022 in Orlando
AB Show is a solution-focused event for athletics, fitness, recreation and military professionals.
Learn More
AB Show