Construction was halted on FC Cincinnati’s new soccer stadium after two “racist incidents” occurred, according to the construction firm’s general manager.
The Cincinnati Enquirer reports that David Spaulding, vice president and general manager with Turner Construction said in a statement on Monday that work will continue on the $250 million stadium only once “every single person on the site” has undergone anti-bias training.
"This past week, we had two racist incidents from subcontractors on the work site," Spaulding said in a statement. "Turner has zero tolerance for racism and hate. We removed the people responsible for these actions from the site and they will not be allowed back."
Turner officials didn’t provide specific details about what happened at the site, but the statement said that work was suspended in order to send a message about how seriously the construction firm takes the issue.
"Work will resume when training is complete," Spaulding said. "We will continue to collaborate with our client, trade partners, and unions to make clear to every person on site how important it is to have a work environment free of racism and hate and where all people feel welcomed and treated with respect."
FC Cincinnati has taken action as a club to combat instances of racism when they’ve arisen previously. The Enquirer reports that a coach resigned earlier this year after the team launched an investigation into his alleged use of a racial slur, and a fan was handed a lifetime ban after directing racist tweets at the team.
“FC Cincinnati will not tolerate racism on the stadium job site or any part of the FC Cincinnati organization,” the club said in a statement to the Enquirer. “We all must be vigilant in working to address systemic racism that unfortunately exists within our country and local community."
Work on the project is expected to be completed by spring 2021.