Learn how and when to effectively use communication tools to help build your team.
Most fitness center managers have a variety of communication tools to use when working with staff members. Four of the most useful tools are Intranet sites, emails and voice mails, meetings, and memos and position papers.
IntranetsIn this technology-driven business world, fitness centers should have an Intranet portal as one of their primary communication media. An Intranet site enables managers to establish an open system of two-way communication that can be easily accessed by employees while they are at work or out of the office. Among the types of communication that can be leveraged through the use of an Intranet site are the following:
- Information about the culture of the business. The site can include a history of the organization, and information about the facility's mission, vision and values.
- Scorecards that show the various goals of the organization and, concurrently, the actual performance on each of the measured objectives.
- Recognition for organizational, team and individual accomplishments can be posted on the site.
- The site can serve as a resource library of educational information, as well as hosting an employee education and development system.
Email and voice mailAmong the messages that can be effectively communicated via either email or voice mail are the following:
- Special recognition for the organization or for a team achievement
- Short messages that reinforce previously communicated messages about company initiatives
- Company news that is general in nature