A Monday morning fire severely damaged athletics facilities at an Alabama high school, causing the school to lose power and send students home for the day.
The blaze at Lanett (Ala.) High School began between 7:30 and 8 o’clock Monday morning, according to the Opelika-Auburn News. Athletic director and head football coach Clifford Story told AL.com that the fire caused what’s likely to be “a total loss” of a facility that stores athletics equipment, coaches’ offices, athletic training facilities and a weight room.
“I really don’t know,” Story told AL.com. “The insurance guy is taking photos now. To me, it looks like a total loss. That’s to coach Story. When you are dealing with children, I’m not real comfortable putting them in unstable situations or putting something back on their heads that might not be safe. We’ll have to see.”
Story’s office — which held personal memories and awards from his 12 year career — was damaged in the fire.
“I’ve been here 12 years, so I had a lot of personal memories – photos, plaques, that type of thing – that were in my office,” he said.
Lanett’s offseason work had already begun with weight training. Story said that he may have to get creative in order to ensure his team can continue to prepare for the upcoming season.
“We may have to go old school, but we will get back to work somehow. It’s all we know,” he said.