Premium Partners

Former Texas Linebacker Ehlinger Died of Accidental Overdose

Andy Berg
Ut Logo

The family of former Texas linebacker Jake Ehlinger, who died in May, said Thursday that they believe their son suffered an accidental overdose.

Ehlinger’s family said they believe their son died from taking the anti-anxiety medication Xanax that was laced with fentanyl.

"Today we are sad to share that we have learned that Jake was a victim of an accidental overdose of what was believed to be Xanax laced with toxic drugs including deadly Fentanyl," the family said in its statement that was reported by ESPN. "The spread of counterfeit pills is an ongoing and significant issue throughout our country, particularly in schools, colleges, and universities.

"As our family continues to process Jake's death, we felt it was important to share these details with the hope that Jake will not have died in vain. We pray that sharing Jake's story will help shed light on this problem and prevent other families from also tragically losing a loved one."

In May, Texas coach Steve Sarkisian called Ehlinger’s death a “tragedy beyond measure.”

"Words cannot express the depth of our sadness and the huge void we are feeling, but above all else, our hearts pour out to Sam, Jena, Morgen and the entire Ehlinger family," Sarkisian said in a statement. "Jake was a tremendous person and was everything you could ask for in a student-athlete. Being a Longhorn meant everything to him, and he truly embodied all that it means to be one."

Buyer's Guide
Information on more than 3,000 companies, sorted by category. Listings are updated daily.
Learn More
Buyer's Guide
AB Show 2022 in Orlando
AB Show is a solution-focused event for athletics, fitness, recreation and military professionals.
Learn More
AB Show