Newburgh (N.Y.) Enlarged City School District has paused all home athletic competitions following a shooting that injured three people following a high school football game.
Newburgh athletic director Howard Harrison made the announcement on Thursday, clarifying that home games for the Newburgh Free Academy will resume Oct. 15.
The move comes after a shooting happened Friday Sept. 30 around 9:30 p.m. after a game against Warwick Valley High School.
According to the Daily Voice, a fight broke out following the game and a 43-year-old woman, a 19-year-old woman and a 21-year old man all were shot and suffered non-life-threatening injuries.
Harrison said the school is pausing all athletic home games to conduct a review of the shooting and learn how safety can be improved at future events.
"We know the temporary pause was comforting to some of our families and frustrating for others," the school district said. "We continue to work with local law enforcement to identify the individual(s) responsible for the devastating incident that occurred on Friday, September 30th. The district has also reviewed our approach to hosting events and will be implementing updated protocols for events."
The Warwick Valley High School had previously announced that it is barring its student-athletes from playing Newburgh.