Copyright 2018 Union Leader Corp.
All Rights Reserved
The Union Leader (Manchester, NH)
HUDSON — A lightning strike caused a small fire in a Hudson fitness club Friday night.
Just after 7:30 p.m., the Hudson Fire Department Dispatch received three notices of an event at the Nottingham Square Plaza, located at 142 Lowell Road, one from a master box alarm being activated and two phone calls reporting smoke inside the Fit Lab Gym.
Firefighters arrived quickly and found the building evacuated and smoke present in the gym. A fire was found in an adjacent rear utility room and was quickly extinguished and contained to the area of origin.
The fire was declared under control within 20 minutes of the first report of the incident.
An investigation confirmed that the fire occurred when a lightning strike traveled through a conduit to a lawn sprinkler timer box in the utility room.
Firefighters ventilated the building for an additional hour after the fire.
The Nashua Fire Department also sent engines and ladder trucks to the scene. The Pelham, Litchfield and Londonderry fire departments supplied station coverage during the incident.
No injuries were reported.
The fire broke out just days after the Hudson Fire Department officially opened its new fire station at 204 Lowell Road, just up the street from the scene.
Read More of Today's AB Headlines
Subscribe to Our Daily E-Newsletter